...To copy something is the sincerest form of flattery...

Friday, March 18, 2011

{Tutorial} Bird Wall Hanging/Mobile

Hi there!! I hope everyone had a great St. Patrick's Day.

A little update about MY REAL LIFE (MRL): I gave birth 9 weeks ago (almost everyone reading this blog must know that because I talk about it so much) and have been having complications despite feeling the best I have ever felt in my whole life.  Turns out that I still have pieces of the placenta in my uterus and will have to have a D and C next week.  I'm terrified and have been confronting very real fears.  There is no option not to do one, it turns out to be the lesser of two evils.  I know God is in control and have already (in the short 24-ish hours since this has happened) learned so many valuable lessons.

Anywhoo... here's the tutorial on my bird wall hanging:

Finished Product
Supplies:

2 different fabrics (I used 1/8 of a yard of each and ending up paying about $4.00)
Thread to match
Branches ( I bought mine at Mic.heals with my 40% off coupon - you could find them outside too but I don't live in that wooded of an area)
Yarn
Hot glue gun
U-shaped nails- you can get them at any home improvement store

Instructions:
1. Go to Spool.com and get the bird pattern.  It's a great website and has great free patterns.  Print it out.  I have linked directly to the PDF file.

2. Make as many birds as you want.  I made six. One solid of each color and the other four are the two fabrics, alternating what fabric I used as the tummy.



Love Birds (pattern courtesy of spool.com)
3.  Lay out your branches on the floor to see how you want them to go on the wall.  I used three branches, and made sure that they came off the wall so that there would be dimension.  Once they are laid like you want them, tie yarn around the parts of the branches that overlap.

4. {Assistance Needed} Place the branches where wanted on the wall and then nail in place with the U-shaped nails.  I placed the nails around the branches so that the branches would not split.

5.  Once the branches are up on the wall, play with the arrangement of the birds and then hot glue gun them where you want them. I spaced my organically so that they sat more like real birds.

Close Up
You could make this into a mobile as well, as that was how it was originally modeled.  I would love to see any other hangings/mobiles that you create!!! Thanks for stopping by!!!

Linked up at the following and HERE









Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. Oh Jenna. Oh no!!! David and I will pray for you. I am sure things will turn out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so cute i love how it turned out.

    i will also be praying for you, i have a huge fear of hospitals and doctors so i can only imagine what you are going through.
    blessings
    amber from abranconier.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is the cutest thing i have ever seen! not even kidding! i am really going to make it now. thanks for linking it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry you are dealing with all that, how hard when having a little one to care for too! I hope it gets worked out soon! This is so beautiful! Thanks for linking it up, I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is adorable! Such a sweet nursery.
    Sorry that you're going through anything scary. I'll say a prayer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your baby room is awesome! Love those little birdies :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I would love for you to link up on my first link party! http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/p/linky-parties.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those birdies are soooo cute! Such a lovely nursery decoration! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so cute!! What a great project!

    ReplyDelete