...To copy something is the sincerest form of flattery...

Monday, March 28, 2011

{Tutorial} Family Name Board

I love to make handmade gifts for almost anything, weddings, engagements, babies, housewarmings, almost anything that you can give a gift for. This tutorial is on making a family name board and are perfect for weddings and housewarmings, and are surprisingly easy to make and have supplies on hand for.

**I'm typing with my LB in my lap so any errors please forgive due to limited mobility, hehehe**

Supplies:
-Board From Hom.e Depot (I buy the white, finished board thats 6 feet and have them cut it into four equal   pieces.  The cuts are free since it is under four cuts, and the whole board is about $16.00 so that works   itself out to $4.00 a board)
-Desired color of spray paint (Use the colors you have at home, but if you want to buy a new one Micheal's   carries spray paint and you can use your 40% off coupon)
-Vinyl (for whatever machine you will be using, I have a Cri.cut)
-Picture hanger
- Optional (Glossy finish spray paint)

Instructions:
1.  Spray paint board desired color- I always do at least two coats to make sure the color is nice and saturated.

Board Before:

Board After Spray Painting:
2. Cut out vinyl and arrange on board. Depending on the name the sizes will have to be different, but I used 4" for the "F"s and 2 inches for the rest of the letters.
Sorry for the blurry pic- I didn't use the flash and was on MF I think :/
3. Peel of the backing of the vinyl and apply on board (spray with glossy finishing spray if desired, and voila! Your board is done! If desired, nail in the picture hanger in the back, but these also look great on easels surrounded by pictures.



Linked up at these partied listed HERE

7 comments:

  1. Where's my board? J/K
    I should make one myself, I actually am going to paint over the martini one in the kitchen. I just haven't got around to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to do this!!! It intimidates me though.... One day I will bite the bullet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a machine to do the vinyl with and have been looking for a stencil I like for awhile to make something similar to this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how your board turned out. I've wanted to make something like this for a while but thought it was too complicated for some reason. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute, really well done! Thanks for linking up Jena!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cute project, and looks resonable in price to make, great for a gift! Thanks for the idea:)

    ReplyDelete