...To copy something is the sincerest form of flattery...

Sunday, March 27, 2011

{Soulful} Sunday

I just finished a book that I would highly recommend, Sacred Parenting by Gary Thomas.  As a new mommy, I do most my reading while I am feeding her in the morning and as I rock her to sleep and my AH surprised me with a Nook while I was pregnant so I can read one handed effortlessly.

Image courtesy of HDC resources
This book outlines what, as Christians, our most important goals in rearing our children are.  I could not have said it better myself.  Here's an excerpt:

"'For I was hungry and you gave me something to ear, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me.' Matthew 25:35-36

Who gets hungrier than a newly awakened baby, eagerly searching out her mother's breast? Who is more naked than a recently born child? Who is more a stranger than an infant who comes into this world knowing no one? Who gets sick more often than a little one, who seems inclined toward ear infections, diaper rash, and colic?

When a mother welcomes a child into the world, feeding her and giving her drink and clothing her and holding her when she gets sick...she is doing exactly what Jesus tells us will be most rewarded in heaven."

(except from Thomas, pg. 216-217)

So to all the moms who sometimes feel meaningless in their sweatpants with spit up in their hair, remember that you are doing something great for the Kingdom!  That knowledge gives me the strength to keep going with enthusiasm whenever I feel weary.

I hope this gives you as much hope as it did for me and if you pick up the book I would love to chat about it!!!

1 comment: